Thursday, October 25, 2007

Trust God to do it.

The boys and I went to eat at a little cheap restaurant next to our previous storefront location tonight (while Karla had music practice at the Bernard's.) This cafe just happened to have a live band playing. I kept hearing a bass guitar, but did not see one. Come to find out, the keyboard player was using his left hand to play like a bass. He played a portable Hammond and Leslie speaker along with a Yamaha keyboard. He was able to keep the left hand walking and popping like a true bass. They had the keyboards, guitar, drums and bongos. It was so tight. (The guitarist, "Big Frank Gomez", is pictured below.)

Cameron leaned over to me and said, "They better not ever add a bass player, it would mess them up!" He even told the keyboardist that as we were leaving. They had a chemistry, a rhythm going as a group and adding another piece could upset the mix.

I got to thinking about that. If I wanted to start a band, I would think I couldn't start one without a bass. I would even refuse to start one unless I found that certain perfect bass player. What if they weren't to be found? It would never get off the ground!

Many times we don't do something for God because we think we have to have something more to even get started. The thing I have found is: If I will go ahead and do His work even without all the pieces in place, He will fill in the gaps. What I cannot do, He does. In fact, it is possible that we will never need that "missing" piece because it would mess up the rhythm that God has created in us.

The point? Get started. Try it. Even if you feel inadequate. If God is dealing with you about doing something, trust God to do it. He will make it possible. Quit waiting until YOU have all the pieces. You can't pull it off yourself anyway!
Matthew 19:26 (The Message)
Jesus looked hard at them and said, "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off yourself. Every chance in the world if you trust God to do it."

6 comments:

Debbie Saiz said...

Gene & Karla,
Enjoy your blog!! Rejoicing over all that God is doing in Plugerville!!

Debbie Saiz
www.lifesaiz.blogspot.com/

Linda Elms said...

Thanks for the reminder to step out and do what God has asked you to do! I would have loved hearing that "bass" in the band. I'm sure it was great!

Karen Prince said...

Wow! This is close to home!
We don't have a bass player and our drummer is a work in progress, actually we all are!
Something I never thought I could do is play and sing alto, but I am learning! I know our music and singing is not great or even good sometimes, but we are all we have right now. SO, we do our best and count on God to do the rest!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I needed this right now. Not for music but other stuff.

Roxana said...

Very good Bro. But could you get out of my mailbox, please?? :} Thanks for the nugget...I needed it.
BTW...Was the food good?

Jana Allard said...

A good bass player can be difficult to find in our area. Ours, is a beginner. :) Thankfully, we do have good drummer - when we can get him to church on time.

This post is message that needs to be preached.